Onsite Retreat Center Manager
The Doron Yoga & Zen Center (DYZC) is a spiritual, no-nonsense retreat center located in the small village of Tzununa, on beautiful Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. We seek practical solutions, based on real experiences rather than religious dogma. Self-responsibility, honesty, integrity, transparency and care for each other are foundational values.
We study, practice and integrate yoga and Zen infused with regenerative living inspired by permaculture and the flexitarian method along with mindfulness actions. We seek to involve the local community with our practices of The Yoga Lifestyle.
We offer a safe home to unlearn our limiting conditioning, and learn how to live a joyful life including, art, yummy nutrition, dance and philosophy programs to realize our full potential.
DYZC offers in-depth study and practice programs, along with lighthearted dance and play. This is the land of free spirit meets responsibility and we’re looking for the right person to become our newest live-in family member.
Minimum 6 month commitment; ideally 1 year or longer
6 hours a day, 6 days a week with a willingness and commitment to be flexible and contribute as needed. Saturdays off. During low season, it may be possible to work more hours each day, in exchange for a second day off.
- Greet guests, give them a tour of the grounds and get them settled in their rooms, assist them as needed, create the ideal environment for their stay, ensure they always feel welcome and at home
- Ensure accommodation, kitchen, shala, and grounds are always ready for any guests, including walk-ins, meals are served on time, etc.
- Establish systems, as needed, to ensure smooth kitchen operations and guest experiences
- Manage the local kitchen and garden team
- Close up the kitchen at the end of the night
- Keep an inventory of kitchen and DYZC goods; prepare shopping lists
- Draft and prepare DYZC bi-monthly blog posts and newsletters
- Prepare/edit website pages, as needed
- Contribute to social media efforts
- Coordinate with the Guardian for issues related to grounds-keeping and maintenance
- Coordinate with Marketing & Communications Manager to ensure accurate record keeping, scheduling, and guest reception
- Other tasks, as designated
- Friendly, positive, and personable customer service approach
- Proactive; sees what’s needed and promptly takes action
- Able to work well both independently and in a team
- Flexible and committed, willing and able to work beyond “normal” working hours, as needed
- Understands that we are still growing, in Guatemala, and that patience is needed.
- Works well under pressure; problem-solver
- Good and timely communication skills
- Experience living in an intentional community, desired
- Language Proficiency: English – spoken and written fluency required; Spanish – high spoken proficiency required, written proficiency desired
- Word, Excel, Google docs, Dropbox, and other basic computer skills
- Graphic design (basic desired, advanced preferred)
- WordPress and MailChimp proficiency, preferred
Local kitchen and garden team (currently 3 people)
Doron Yoga & Zen Center Founder & Director, Doron Hanoch
Compensation and Benefits:
Negotiable, based upon experience.
One month trial period.
The position holder receives accommodation in one of the DYZC’s shared rooms and 3, nutritious, vegetarian meals on days worked, and when the DYZC is running on weekends. Included within this arrangement are meditation and pranayama (breathing exercises) sessions, as well as yoga asana (physical practice) classes Monday through Friday at the DYZC and when offered on Saturdays. Fire nights, dharma talks and Zen dance are also included, when offered.
Explore our website to learn more about us.
Please send your CV and expression of interest to Doron Hanoch at email@example.com.